Friday, June 3, 2011

Are your legs sore?

Because they’ve been running through my mind all day.

Source


Ah the perfect pick-up line for today's topic!  Running (or simply exercising!)

[SIDE NOTE: Sorry, I've been kind of MIA for the past two days...I've been super busy during the day and I've been learning so much that I want to blog about...so stay tuned to hear all about it.  And after my busy day, I could have blogged at night, but I was so tired and so proud of my last post that I didn't want to have just a crappy one last posted.]

But now that I am back, I want to write about what I learned the other day.  I went to bed the night before thinking: tomorrow I am going to go grocery shopping, go for a run, blog, and do whatever else I want.



I'm so ambitious like this monkey!! Source

I know...sick life!  (My job has yet to start for the summer so basically my life is full of lazy days <-- reason I didn't put the music video?  I think the music video is very strange...what is your opinion?]

Anyway, (<--there's that transition word that I cannot stop using! ahh!! Please, help me find a new one!)

The next morning I woke up.  I did go grocery shopping (I simply needed to pick up some things), but I just didn't feel like running.

What's so wrong with just doing this?! Source


I felt like I needed to because after reading all the healthy living blogs on here, I felt like I needed to run to be like you guys.  I felt like if I didn't run then I wasn't healthy and I wasn't going to look good.  I felt I must run so that I could eat more without feeling guilty and so that I could keep my weight down.

But then I stopped myself. 

I've been stopping myself a lot recently to rethink my thought-processes.  

Sometimes, I just need to STOP. (<--Bet you thought I couldn't quote anything, but Ke$sha or other typical pop songs :p)

I decided that if I really didn't feel like working out, for whatever reason, (this was mainly due to the fact that it felt like 90 degrees outside), then I really don't have to.  It's not about necessarily looking good or keeping up with the other bloggers.  I've decided that the only reason to run would be for health, physical and mental.  Physical, so my heart is working properly, my body is in shape, and so that I am strong.  Mental, so that my mind is happy and stressful. 

If those weren't the motivators, then I do not necessarily have to run.

So I didn't.


Phew! Got out of that one! Source

Later that day (around 7:30 p.m.) I was thinking I really needed to get some exercise.  I was somewhat bored and I wanted to make sure I would be tired so I could fall asleep easily (I had a long day planned the following day).  So at that point, I decided to run.  I did a nice interval workout on the treadmill in air conditioning.  It wasn't about necessarily weight or calories.  It was about feeling good and getting a good night's sleep.  So I had an awesome workout and felt great.



What I looked like after my work-out, more or less! Source

The reason I brought this up is because I feel like many girls feel pressure to work out for two reasons: 1. to look good and 2. because everyone else is doing it.  Although exercise is so important and so great for numerous reasons (like those found here), that should not be the only reasons.  I remember reading a blog a couple of months back (I would link the blog, but now it is on private and I do not have that type of blog so I cannot be granted access), and it said, "Would you still exercise if it made you gain weight?"  Chances are, many would say no.  If you would say no, I encourage you to find some other type of exercise so you wouldn't immediately say no.  Find something that you enjoy doing so the that the only benefit isn't that you lose weight.  (Of course, losing weight/maintaining weight/looking toned will ALWAYS be a reason and that's okay; it just can't be the only reason).

Let's be like her; she just looks so happy after exercising! Source


Today, the challenge is to change your attitude towards exercising.  It is so important that I encourage you all to exercise/move everyday.  Maybe this means just dancing in your room for 10 minutes in the afternoon or going for a 15 minute walk around the neighborhood.  This doesn't mean running for 10 miles or doing a million sit ups.  Be active, but also have fun!  Pick exercises that you enjoy doing!

What are your favorite ways to exercise?  When did you start these ways?  Are they best solo or with friends?  Leave a comment and tell me!


-CJ xoxo

Because I didn't quote Ke$ha today, and I feel like that's now a trademark for me... enjoy a little trashy goodness here! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Love such a healthy attitude towards exercising!!

    Thanks for checking out my blog :) Yep, I pretty much make most of my food (primarily breakfast, lunches, and some dinners when my mom doesn't cook). I enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've definitely had to develop this attitude towards it though!

    And that's awesome that you make most of your food!! I wish I was that skilled haha

    ReplyDelete